We have now upgraded Blackboard and changed the visual theme. Find out more about the new theme through our previous blog post. You can find further information, including guides to creating banners to differentiate between courses on our web pages.
Unfortunately we are experiencing a problem with Turnitin at the moment. We are working with our suppliers to remedy this as soon as possible and will update this blog with any further information.
One or two courses with customised themes may need to be changed. Please see the information on this page
It services are planning some maintenance work on Friday 9th June from 7 – 8 am which may affect the provision of Blackboard. Whilst we anticipate the service will still be available there is a chance that it will become inaccessible during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and will update this blog with any further information.
We are delighted to announce that Blackboard will be moved to an externally-hosted service this summer. Benefits of external hosting of technical support include:
- A reliable and resilient infrastructure with less unplanned service unavailability
- Less planned downtime (eg some essential maintenance will be possible without downtime, upgrades take less time and can be completed overnight or at weekends)
- A highly scalable technical infrastructure with capacity to respond quickly to new requirements
- Quicker resolution of technical issues, due to 24x7x365 support, monitoring and problem resolution
- More rapid deployment of new software versions to resolve issues and respond to new requirements
- Improved performance, giving a better user experience.
The move to external hosting will take place between 4:30 pm on Friday 21 July and 4:00 pm on Tuesday 25 July. A read-only Blackboard service will be available over that period. All existing data and courses will be migrated to the externally-hosted service.
Software upgrade, course rollover
- The Blackboard software upgrade will take place between 7:00 pm on Sunday 6 August and 2:00 pm on Monday 7 August. The upgrade will introduce some new features (including a quicker way to add content to courses). The upgrade will also introduce improvements to the design and layout of Blackboard.
- Course rollover will take place in early August, after the 2017-18 unit and programme information is available.
New online teaching tool – Blackboard Collaborate
- From Monday 7 August, all staff will have access a completely new online learning and teaching tool – Blackboard Collaborate. Collaborate is an online classroom environment which can be used for activities such as online classes, office hours and guest lectures (using video, audio, text chat, a shared whiteboard and application sharing). For more information see the Blackboard Collaborate web pages: http://www.blackboard.com/online-collaborative-learning/blackboard-collaborate.aspx
Please refer to our external hosting project web page for updated information, where we will add answers to frequently asked questions.
For Blackboard support, training and advice, please contact us: (email@example.com; 0117 33 17605).
There are currently problems with the Peermark service meaning assignments cannot be created. The service provider are aware of this error and are working towards a solution, hopefully within the next couple of days.
We will keep the blog updated with any news.
Apologies for any inconvenience
The Turnitin service has now been restored, apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Turnitin and TurnitinUK are currently experiencing a service disruption which means that the service is unavailable for use. We will update this blog with any further information about the downtime and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
We have been notified that the TurnitIn service has now returned to normal. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience that the temporary degradation in service may have caused.
TEL and Ed Dev
We have received some system status reports from our software provider TurnitIn that they are currently experiencing some degradation to the service. Please be aware that the system may be slower than usual if you are trying to access it. We will keep this blog updated with any further information
TEL and Ed Dev Team