- Pre-record lectures – upload videos to Re/Play, embed them in Blackboard, and generate captions
- Schedule live sessions in Blackboard Collaborate – how-to video
- Organise Blackboard sites clearly – course design tips and guidance
- Make your Blackboard course available to students
- Tools and software available – including new tools for this academic year
- Peer-to-peer interaction and group work – including setting up and using Blackboard groups (Word)
- Online assessment – planning and running tests, online submissions and other types of online assessment
- Training and support – what’s available from the Digital Education Office
- For queries, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read this information if you use or administer Turnitin for anonymous marking.
With the recent Blackboard upgrade, essential to ensure our Blackboard service remains supported, we were also required to update the Turnitin integration. Unfortunately, in the newer version Turnitin have changed the Sync Grades functionality so it cannot be used to send submission information (marks or submission status) from Turnitin to the Blackboard Grade Centre while anonymity is on.
Does this affect me?
The change affects you if you have previously used Sync Grades to:
- Check to see which students have or have not submitted while an assignment is anonymous
- Run anonymous moderation
The Digital Design self-study course is an introduction to designing for online and highly-blended learning. You can dip in to particular sections or work through the whole course, which includes demos and tips on how to use a range of different technologies. Find out more and enrol on the Digital Design booking page.
Bb Annotate is a new tool in Blackboard for feedback annotations. It will replace the current tool, Box View, from 10th August 2020, and has a much wider range of functionality. The change to Bb Annotate will not require downtime, and it will work immediately for new submissions. Previously submitted assignments and feedback will be converted in the background, or when first accessed after the switch. This change does not affect Turnitin assignments. For more information see Bb Annotate – new Blackboard inline marking tool.
Bb Annotate is a new tool in Blackboard for inline assignment marking, allowing markers to provide different types of feedback annotations. It replaces the current tool, Box View, and has a much wider range of functionality. Blackboard will be releasing Bb Annotate for us in August 2020. For more information see the Bb Annotate page.
The Digital Education Office is continuing its programme of training webinars and virtual drop-ins. Webinar topics include: using Blackboard Collaborate, engaging online discussions, creating and re-using video, Blackboard basics, and online assessment and feedback. For more information and booking see: https://www.bristol.ac.uk/digital-education/noticeboard
To support you to move teaching and assessment online, the DEO are running daily drop-ins as well as subject-specific webinars for staff. Current webinars cover using Collaborate for live sessions, creating and reusing video, Blackboard basics, assessment and feedback, and designing and facilitating engaging online discussion. You can find details and signup instructions on our Events page.
To access recordings of previous webinars, please enrol yourself on the DEO Staff Development course on Blackboard (you’ll be asked to log in to Single sign on first).
The following information is for staff. Guidance for students is being developed.
- Self-help materials – moving teaching online. Please look at these first.
- Online drop-ins and training webinars.
- Share questions and ideas with peers through the digital education Yammer group.
- Queries? Email email@example.com. Please be patient. We will respond as soon as we can, but expect to be very busy over the coming weeks.
- The University is closed for Christmas from 5pm on Monday 23rd December, and re-opens on Friday 3rd January 2020
- The Digital Education Office (DEO) team will be unavailable on the afternoon of Friday 20th December due to a divisional Christmas celebration
- There will be a limited DEO Helpdesk service on Monday 23rd December
If you have a query for the DEO during the Christmas period please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as soon as possible. If you have an urgent IT problem (eg a service is unavailable) please contact the IT Service Desk on 0117 4282100 (internal 82100).
This message is for staff marking group assignments using EMA workflow B1 (the marks and feedback batch upload tool in Blackboard). Group assignments are where one student submits on behalf of a group.
An issue was recently identified as potentially affecting a small number of courses with group assignments due to have feedback bulk uploaded.
We are pleased to say that this has been fixed by Blackboard.
Feedback for group assignments can now be bulk uploaded as normal using EMA workflow B1.
If you have any questions please contact the Digital Education Office.