As an Instructor, if under “My Courses” on your Blackboard home page you see “not currently available” or “unavailable” after the course name, this means the course is unavailable to students. Instructors can still access and edit the course.
There are two ways to make your courses available to students
- You can use the Quick Tools on your Blackboard Home page. Click Course Availability and turn the On/Off button next to the course to the required state.
- Click on the course
- Under Control Panel, click on Customisation
- Click on Properties
- In section 3, Set availability, select Yes
- Click Submit
If you have any problems or queries please contact Digital-Education@bristol.ac.uk
Users of the Blackboard and Blackboard Instructor mobile apps are currently unable to search for their institutions. Users with existing sessions or cached search results are not affected.
The issue started at approximately 16:30 on January 8, 2019. An investigation into the issue is ongoing. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Blackboard will performing infrastructure maintenance between 1 am and 5 am on Friday 25 January. You should therefore expect a service interruption to Blackboard during this maintenance window.
Thank you in advance for your understanding.
This announcement is for staff who use Questionmark. We have been informed by Questionmark that they will no longer provide support for the University’s current version, Perception 5.7, after July 2019. This means that we will need to upgrade our service before 31st July 2019.
In order to help us identify a suitable time to upgrade please complete this form to let us know:
any assessments planned between 10th June and 31st July 2019
whether you would like to try out the new version of Questionmark
Deadline: Friday 18th January 2019
Contact for queries: email@example.com
Link to form to complete
Booking is now open for Digital Education Office workshops and webinars in the New Year. These include new webinars covering Blackboard Basics and the Grade Centre, as well as workshops on Blackboard, materials design, synchronous online teaching, and advanced admin skills for EMA. More information and booking.
Recordings of our Winter webinar series are also available. These covered:
- Managing student access to online submission points in Blackboard – pre-submission quizzes, groups and adaptive release.
- Giving feedback in Turnitin Feedback Studio.
- Blackboard basics – marking and providing feedback on assignments.
- Help your students engage with your Blackboard course – course design and layout.
To request access to the recordings please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are planning a minor update to Blackboard between 9 pm on Sunday 16 December and 9 am on Monday 17 December. We will confirm the maintenance following further testing of the update. If we can proceed with the work, there will be unavailability over this period and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The next Digital Education Office winter webinar is “Help your students engage with your Blackboard course” and will take place on Wednesday 5 December from 11.15 – 11.45am. It will include top tips for course design and layout, and a chance to ask questions.
Sign up online.
We have recently identified problems when trying to upload submissions to Turnitin using the Safari browser (version 12.0) where the upload appears to hang and never completes.
We have three recommendations to fix this issue.
- Try working in a different browser, both Chrome and Firefox can be downloaded and used on a Mac.
- Clear the cache on your browser. You can find guidance on how to do this by going to refreshyourcache.com
- You can also follow these instructions to change the settings in Safari Preferences:
- Go to Safari Preferences > Privacy Tab > Manage Website Data.
- Look for and remove the three cached websites listed below:
- turnitinuk.com or turnitin.com
- Close and reopen Safari.
- Try submitting again.
The Digital Education office wish to thank you for your patience while we have investigated and worked with the supplier on a fix.
We can now confirm that full editing functions have been restored as of the 3rd November.
If do encounter and further problems please let us know by emailing email@example.com
Turnitin have announced that their service is available again